Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Pop Songs- #2

Making the decision for which song would be number one was tough between the top two... but in the end I had to make a decision.  One reason in the "pro" column for the following song is because its related to a super fun memory from my past... but ultimately, it had to be the runner-up.  Good effort Mariah.  You were close to that top spot... but in honor of your twins, you'll be representing the #2. 

My number two Christmas pop song is "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey.  Sure... it's over played.  Sure... its been remade.  But let's be real.  For my generation, this song is the pinnacle of holiday classics.  Mariah is the last big pop star to release a holiday album where a single instantly has become a holiday staple.  It takes a lot for a contemporary artist to be considered amonst the old-time greats like Bing Crosby or Johnny Mathis... but Mariah's song is one of those that you hear everywhere, in every store, on every station, every year. 

The reason it's towards the top for me is for a couple reasons.  Well first of all, back in the day I was OBSESSED with Mariah Carey.  I mean... my freshman year of college (as many of my current friends can attest) I had an entire two walls covered with Mariah Carey posters and photos.  She was my ultimate artist.  I knew every song to every word.  My uber-fan status was so well known that during my freshman year, that is probably one of the main descriptors people would have used if you asked them about me.

Mariah released "Merry Christmas" when I was still in high school, and it was played on repeat starting in November until mid-January.  I believe it was my freshman year when it came out... and somehow I was able to talk a group of my girl friends to back me up as I took the solo and lip-synched this song at the Mendon High School holiday talent show.  My mom made me a silky santa-inspired robe... I wore a hot dress... bought some girly heeled shoes at Goodwill... and I even borrowed a bra from my well-endowed neighbor lady so I could stuff it.  In hind sight... I was a drag queen.  Yep.  I was a drag queen before I even knew what a drag queen was.  I was so clueless about my sexuality as a 9th grader that I just thought that I was paying homage to my favorite artist by dressing up as her and lip syncing it in front of the entire school.  I knew it would get some laughs... and I was so competitive that I really just wanted to win.  But let me tell you... that stage got WORKED!  :-)  Hahahaha.....  I went out there and I felt like I WAS Mariah Carey.  I sashayed.  I shimmied.  I belted.  I performed every word with so much gusto and heart that I had the audience on their feet at the end.  Long before anyone knew of RuPaul's Drag Race, I was out there "lip syncing for my life".  :-) 

Although embarassing to watch on video now, I still love that clip.  I love that I was this clueless 9th-grader who was performing for the rush and the thrill of the crowd.  I love that I wasn't afraid to get out there and be myself.  And in hindsignt, I love that I brought a little bit of diva to my small town high school.  I call that a gay victory.  :-) 

Fast forward a few years.... after Mariah's semi-insane ice-cream-cart-pushing, tshirt-stripping, word-slurring pit stop at TRL, my love and dedication for all things Mariah started to waver... but still to this day, I know most all the lyrics (pre-2000), and I can't get enough of her Christmas album at the holiday time.

For these reasons, I present to you my #2 Christmas Pop song of all time: "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey: 

No comments: