Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Pop Songs- #6

We've made it halfway though the countdown!  And I'm happy to report that #6 is the last semi-depressing song on the list.  Hahaha!  I was reflecting on some of the previous songs and there are some serious ones in there for sure.  After we get through this song, I promise its only songs of hope and fun for the rest of the countdown.

 The song at #6 is "Do They Know It's Christmas" by the artists of Band Aid back in the 80's.  I've always enjoyed the song... but listening to the lyrics, its not something to get you excited about Christmas.  There are some pretty sad lyrics about the hunger in Africa, and I don't know about you... but when I'm preparing to eat a thick piece of Christmas ham its hard to be reminded of the starving people all over the world... but alas... this song has become a big hit over the years. 

I have to be honest with you about this selection.  I was really thinking that it was going to be lower in the list until I pulled up the YouTube link for it. If you haven't watched the video, or seen the collection of people pulled together for this song, then you HAVE to watch.  It's crazy in hindsight to see all of the really big names in music that came together relatively early in their musical careers to put this charity single together.  I mean, just watching the first minute you are going to see Sting, Bono of U2, George Michael, Phil Collins, Boy George and Simon from Duran Duran.  Whether your taste for 80's Europop is strong or not, its hard to deny that these are some of the biggest artists in music history.  That alone makes this a very powerful song.  Add that this song went on to be the biggest selling single in UK sales chart history when it was released, and its hard to deny this Christmas song as one of the best of all time.  I still like it every year at the holidays... so enjoy!

No comments: