Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Pop Songs- #7

Ok... ok... ok.....

I'm prepared to get flack for this decision...

But I HAD to include this song in my top 12.  I could have tried to play the cool-kid-card and not admitted it, but I really, truly love this Christmas song.  And its one of those that makes me really feel like its Christmas when I hear it. 

The song at #7 is "This Gift" by 98 Degrees.  :-)  Yes... laugh at me.  I'll take it.  I'm a big boy.  I can handle the ridicule and embarassment.  Hahaha.

Honestly though... when 98 Degrees was in their prime, they had some seriously great tunes... and this song can easily be included in that.  Sure, their lyrics can sometimes be cheesy... and you can add this song to the list 57 songs 98 Degrees sang about proposing marriage.... but you can't deny that the group has some great pop harmonies.  Just watching this video, with Nick Lachey's bleached tips, makes me smile.  Let me just quickly add that in 2011 Nick Lachey is just as cheesy as he was back then.... I mean, have you all watched him as host of the Sing-Off?  Hahaha.  I still love him.  And watching this video also brings back my huge crush on Jeff Timmons.  Let's be real.... he was in the group for the eye candy appeal only.  The Lachey brothers and the Justin on bass held the groups vocals down.  But Jeff... damn!  He'd be a great Christmas gift, even still today!  I'm sure this video was difficult for him to film with a sweater on the whole time.  I think this is the only 98 Degrees clip you'll find where he's not wearing a wife-beater.  Hahaha!

So, without shame, I present to you my #7 Pop Christmas song of all time: "This Gift" by 98 Degrees:

1 comment:

Tara said...

It is seriously not Christmas until 98 Degrees, NSYNC, and Mariah Carey are played. Love reading these posts Matt :)