Thursday, December 22, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Pop Songs: #4

So you know I take things like these countdowns very seriously... :). Almost just as serious as the decision of what song will be number one is what song will be number FOUR. Hahaha!

The song at #4 is one I consider to be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded... Holiday or otherwise. From start to finish, this song has a delicate beauty to it that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Add in the lyrics that exude such a hopeful spirit for the season, and you've got one amazing holiday tune!

The song is "Light a Candle" by the contemporary Christian vocal group Avalon. There was a time when Avalon was on the top of favorite musical artists list. The released some pretty incredible albums back in the late 90's and early 2000's. In 2000 they put out a holiday album called "Joy" and it still is one of my favorite Christmas CD's. For me, "Light A Candle" is by far the standout track. Just listen and I think you'll know why.

I've got some fond and impactful memories of this song. During the holiday season of 2000, I went to Saginaw and saw Avalon perform a holiday concert. I went with my friends Lisa and Allison. It was a great concert and Avalon did a signing afterwards. It was so awesome for me to meet this group that I loved! One of my first celebrity geek-out moments :)

Then in 2001, after the 9/11 tragedy, I remember there was a nation-wide candlelight vigil where people were encouraged to go out on their porches and light a candle in honor of those who lost their lives. I went to Lisa and Allison's house in Big Rapids (because at that time I was living in the residence halls and had no porch). We sat on the porch and blasted this song while we lit our candles. Although it wasn't holiday time, the hope and promise of this song was so poignant that it was perfect for the moment. It's a moment I'll never forget.

Enjoy #4: "Light a Candle" by Avalon

No comments: