Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Pop Songs- #9

I'm so excited to write about the song at #9... mostly because its by my favorite artist of this very moment: Sara Bareilles.  I just saw Sara in concert a week ago, and it was near the top of the list of all-time momst amazing concert experiences.  My anthem album for 2011 is her most recent album "Kaleidoscope Heart".  The songs speak to my heart and have helped me get through some really difficult times that I've gone through recently. 

Although my love for Sara has grown much over the past year, I've really loved this particular song for many years.  It's a duet that she did with another great female singer/songwriter Ingrid Michaelson.  This song is so touching and powerful to me because its so very haunting.  Haunting isn't a typical adjective to describe a holiday song.... but its sheer beauty and the pain you can feel in their voices gives it that haunting quality.  The simple combination of piano and strings with their two voices is captivating.  I also appreciate how the song builds throughout its four minutes.  It starts with just simple piano, and by the end once all the strings and both their voices are added the sound is so rich, full and powerful. 

Yeah... so sue me that the song isn't really that happy... but in all honesty (and as I am feeling this year), not all holiday seasons are happy... and sometimes you just need that song that truly says what you are feeling. 

I'd also like to give props to whoever created the graphics for this music video.  I think it really captures the essence of the song.  So here is my #9 song: "Winter Song" by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson. 

No comments: