Wednesday, July 21, 2010

As I turn 30...

It's my birthday!  YAY! 

As I turn 30, I'd like to take this opportunity to focus not on myself... but on the woman who gave birth to me 30 years ago today: Connie Eickhoff! 


It's hard to be so far away from my mom on a day like today... not only because I am totally missing her famous Rice Krispy Ice Cream Dessert that I love and that she has made for me every year on my birthday :-) ... but because I know that she must be having some mixed feelings about today.  I mean, I can just hear here up at the Bluebird Cafe having breakfast saying "My baby turns thirty today!  Can you believe it?  THIRTY!".  Yes mom.  Your baby is 30. 

This is the amazing woman who told me it was OK to be me.  I was perfect just the way I am.  And if other people didn't think so... they could go f--- themselves!  (and she would tell them exactly where they could shove it!).  It was so OK to be me, in fact, that she would cut, sew, and hot glue gun any costume needed in order to get on stage and make a fool of myself at the Riverfest Lip Sync for the last 19 (soon to be 20) years.  She didn't care... she would be front row and be incredibly proud. 

This is the amazing woman who gave me the love and kindness I needed growing up so that I could become a loving and kind adult.  Today this was made apparent by all the love and kindness I've been shown on facebook by people all across the country.  I am lucky to have all these people in my life... and I wouldn't if it wasn't for my mother. 

This is the amazing woman who has been there to support me through all the difficult times.  I am grateful to know that my life has been easier than most, and that is due to the unwavering support she has given me.  Even the most difficult times were bearable because of her.  I do not take this for granted.  There are so many people out there without this support that I know I am truly blessed to have her in my life. 

This is the amazing woman who gave me my ability to be crafty and creative.  She never strayed me away from doing fun arts and crafts projects and always allowed me to express myself creatively.  For this, I thank her... because being creative is something I thrive on now, and something that makes me so happy.  For every holiday decoration that I display... for every lip sync background I paint... for every homemade gift or card I create... I thank her for giving me this talent and passion. 

This is the amazing woman showed me what true love is by being in a loving, committed relationship for 40 years.  She has proven that love can be strong if you are strong as an individual and do what it takes to make it work.  The lessons I learned in this area alone have helped to make me successful in my current relationship which is going on two years strong.  And trust me... I wouldn't be where I am today without her advice during the many phone calls I've made crying out for help.  He insight is invaluable. 

This is the amazing woman who gave birth to a big baby boy 30 years ago today.  I LOVE YOU Mom, and wish nothing more than to hug you on my birthday.  Thanks for all you've given to me in the last 10,950 days. 

Yes mom, your baby is 30.... but whether I'm turning 3 or 30 or 93... I'll always be your baby. 

6 comments:

Patty Flores said...

OMG you made me cry and although I know it's not a difficult thing to accomplish,(me crying that is)you touched my heart. What a wonderful woman! I don't know her, but let me just say. I LOVE YOUR MOM!

Auntie Linda said...

your mom sounds amazing matty. i hope one day i can meet her (and maybe she can make us that rice krispy treat. :D)

Unknown said...

Your killing me with this, Matt :(

Unknown said...

Oops...you're...not your. And to think, I work in higher education! ;)

Anonymous said...

Matt, you are so sweet to write such a nice tribute to your mom! I agree, she is a great lady, always welcoming everyone in her home and being so kind and gracious. I am so sad that I may not be able to be there for the lip sync this year, but I am sure I will here all about it!! HAPPY 30TH again, and yay for you and your mom---amazing people for sure! Love ya...Julie Kalush :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! Connie is the bomb-diggidy:) So many of us can call that darling house on Jackson Street "home." I am so blessed and thankful to have you both in my life. MUAH!