Monday, July 12, 2010

Some moments are just... magic :-)

So last night I had the chance to see the Steve Miller Band at the Greek Theatre here in LA.  The tickets were cheap, it was a beautiful Sunday evening... why not go see a a band responsible for some of the biggest iconic rock hits, right?  Of course!

Well... going into the show, I never thought I'd be writing a blog about it from the sentimental angle... but sometimes moments just pop up when you least expect them and give you a great memory.

In my head, I remember Steve Miller Band for songs like "The Joker", "Keep On Rockin' Me", and "Jungle Love"... and it was awesome to hear all of those songs live.  The crowd was made up of mostly 45+ aged adults... but it was cool to also see that some of those parents brought along thier kids to enjoy the tunes with.  Surprisingly, Steve's voice still sounded great after all the years of performing live... and the musicians in the band were just awesome.  All in all.... a great show.

BUT... three quarters of the way through the show... a starting riff to a song began, and I had a complete and total flashback.  For some reason on this night, I completely forgot that Steve Miller Band was also responsible for the song "Abracadabra".  Just hearing the first few bars of the song immediately brought me back to memories of my family.  I remember being very young (I think like 2 or 3) and this was my FAVORITE song on the planet.  My parents would play it and I would sing along... but my version sounded more like "abba abba cadabba... I wanna reach out and grabbya"... and I would reach out and grab the person I was singing to...  :-)   I remembered my dad retelling this story of me on many accounts through my teen years and college years.  It was a story that always made him laugh and smile.

As I stood at the concert, singing along again with tears streaming down my face, as I am just days away from turning 30... it was almost as if I could see my dad looking down on me, laughing and smiling again. 

This one's for you dad:

5 comments:

Auntie Linda said...

Awww Matty, that is a very sweet moment. Sometimes a memory sneaks up on us and makes us cry, but they are good tears, and those are my favorite, next to laughter tears. Thanks for sharing that story. <3 ya matty!!!

SJ said...

What a wonderful story and how cool it is that music can do that for people. I love you, Matt.

Unknown said...

Well said friend... well said!

Unknown said...

It always amazes me how music can instantly take us back to some of your most precious memories. This was such a sweet story, your dad was a really amazing person. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Awwww what a great story and to hear they can still rock makes me happy as I will see them next Saturday.