Thursday, July 8, 2010

Emmy Nominations Announced!

The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced the nominees for this year's Emmy Awards this morning... and boy am I excited!  Some very fun nominees included in this group.  Here are some of my personal favorites, and who I will be rooting for this year:

 OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
My two favorite non-reality shows on television!  Its actually a tough choice to pick which one that I would rather have win.  Glee is so entertaining each week... but Modern Family makes me laugh harder than any show on television.  Honestly, a win by either would make me full of glee!


 OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Lea Michele is pretty much brilliant as Rachel Berry on Glee.  Not only does she bring the pipes, but she brings the laughs.  The real winner should be the casting agent that picked Lea up for this role because it is pitch-perfect. 


OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
If there was a category for Outstanding Lead Hot Teacher You Wish You Had In High School, then Matthew Morrison would be a Schu in (pardon the bad pun).  As Mr. Schu, he really is the driving force behind this show and it would be awesome to have him recognized for his talent (and ability to shake the booty). 


OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
The cast of Modern Family decided that, to be fair, they would enter themselves all in the "supporting" categories.  I do agree with this decision... as they truly are an emsemble cast... but it really makes these supporting awards in the comedy category difficult.  Although I like both Julie Bown and Sophia Vergara from Modern Family, this category is trumped by Jane Lynche as the all-powerful Sue Sylvester.  I mean... she sang "Vogue" and "Physical".  Can that be topped?


OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES 
Like I said with the actresses, the actor category is filled with Modern Family castmates.  Three to be exact, which is pretty impressive.  I was quite shocked and pleased to see that Chris Colfer from Glee was nominated for his portrayal of Kurt.  Although I think he's a great character, I believe that Kurt's part of the show is almost more drama than comedy... his story is more heart-felt than gut-busting.  But... for being a young actor who was virtually unknown before Glee, major props for the nomination!  I'm so happy that both Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet were nominated for their portrayals of Mitchell and Cam from Modern Family.  When you consider Jesse, Eric and Chris together, there are three male gay characters that make up the six nomiantions in this category.  That is awesome!  And although I like to support my "family"... my favorite in this category is Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy.  He brings so much awkward humor to the Phil character that you can't help but laugh.  Ty has got the whole thing down... from the comedic timing to the physicality of his glances at the camera.  Plus... he gave me one of my favorite quotes from the past year: "WTF... Why the face?".  :-)
 

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES 
 YAY!!!  Can I just say how incredibly AWESOME it is that Betty White was nominated for her hosting duties on Saturday Night Live???  Easily the most talked about SNL episode since Tina Fey's Sarah Palin impressions, Betty really did a kick ass job.  And she's flippin' 89 years old people!  BUT... then the Emmy's had to make life difficult by throwing in Kristen Chenoweth for her performances as April Rhodes on Glee.  I can honestly say that the two episodes she was in were probably my two favorite of the whole season.  She is perfection.  The humor with the voice make her a simply perfect guest star for a show like Glee.  Honestly, this may be the toughest award for me to call because we know the Academy loves Kristen, as they awarded her for her work on Pushing Daisies even after the show was cancelled.  But Betty White is a national treasure.  Everyone loves Betty White (but not as much as I do!).  Tough, tough choice. 


OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
This is another tough category.  Glee grabs another two nominations with Mike O'Malley (as Kurt's dad) and last year's Emmy host Neil Patrick Harris (as Bryan Ryan).  I LOVE that Mike O'Malley is recognized with this nomination because his role is one of the most touching of the whole season... but its more touching than comedic.  Plus... does anyone else remember Mike as the host of that Nickelodeon game show "Get the Picture"?  Awesome to see how far he's come.  NPH was indeed comedic with his take on Bryan Ryan.... I mean the "Dream On" number with him and Mr. Schu is incredible.  But... my gut tells me to go with Fred Willard for his portrayal of Phil's dad on Modern Family.  Fred was the PERFECT casting choice for Phil's dad... and having his guest appearance really brought Phil's character fll circle.  It gave us some insight into why Phil is like he is.  I laughed heartily at Fred's guest appearance on the show and I would love to see him get recognized. 


OUTSTANDING HOST FOR A REALITY COMPETITION SERIES
It's no surprise that I loves me some reality TV.  And I really do like many of the shows and hosts also nominated in this category (Ryan for Idol... Heidi for Project Runway...), but for me it comes down to a mono-a-mono matchup between Jeff Probst from Survivor and Phil Keoghan from the Amazing Race.  In the two years that this award has been in existence, Jeff has been the sole survivor... but The Amazing Race is the perrennial favorite Reality Compeition Series (I think its won like 6 or 7 years in a row now!).  The last two seasons of The Amazing Race have spotlighted Phil more... so I could see him pulling out a win.  We'll see what happens once the tribe has spoken!


 OUTSTANDING REALITY COMPETITION SERIES
Now... in the race for this year's Reality Competition Series... there was a clear snub of Survivor!  Especially considering the Heroes Vs. Villians season that just finished.  That was EASILY in the top 3 seasons of Survivor ever... and we are on 20 seasons now!  Yet... Project Runway, which has a pretty tattered and torn season (especially since changing networks to Lifetime) got a nomination.  I'm really confused over that.  Can I just say... I wish one of these years that "The Biggest Loser" would get a Reality Competition Series nod.  That show changes lives not only in the contestants but the people that watch the show.  It deserves some recognition, and has never been nominated.  Nonetheless, the rest of the nominees in the category include American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Amazing Race and Top Chef.  I smell an Amazing Race win yet again. 


 OUTSTANDING REALITY SERIES
Now also... another one of my favorite shows is "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List".  She is just so funny and her show is genius.  Kathy recieved yet another nomination for this show in the Outstanding Reality Show category. BUT... the surprise here is that two other previous winners and favorites in this category were not nominated!  Both "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and "Intervention" (last year's winner) were snubbed.  Hopefully this means that Kathy is primed and ready to move up to the Emmy A-List and grab another trophy!  And if not... suck it Emmy's! 

In other Emmy news... critic favorite Friday Night Lights got nominations in both the Lead Actor and Lead Actress Drama category.  I haven't watched the show since the first season, but it has never really been recognized over the years with the exception of a small fan base and several critics who say what a great show it is.  Cool that even this late in its run that it could pull nominations in thos two big categories.  ALSO... the "oooooh... BURN!" moment of the Emmy noms was the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien being nominated for Outstanding Varient, Music or Comedy Series.  Not with Jay Leno... but with Conan.  Mind you, the Tonight Show with any host has been nominated in this category for the last bazillions years.  But still... for Jay, that's gotta sting a bit. 

So there's my take.  Any of your faves that you want to share?

No comments: