Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why I Hate "America's Got Talent"... (but still can't stop watching)

You know by now that I'm a sucker for reality TV.  I love the thought of having an afternoon with nothing to do but catch up on hours of DVR'ed unscripted goodness.

One show that I have watched on and off since its first season is "America's Got Talent".  Over the past several summers there have been MANY great, unique acts that have been featured on the show.  BUT.... I have just been catching up on this week's episodes and I felt the burning need to express how much I really HATE this show.  Well maybe not the whole show, but just certain aspects of it.  Let me break those aspects down for you:

  1. GET RID OF THE STANDARD SINGERS!  We've got a very popular singing talent show already called American Idol... and although Idol is only for ages 15-29, I still feel that the singing performers have an unfair advantage over other groups.  Of the 4 acts that made it through on this weeks results show, 2 of them were singers (that don't do anything else besides sing).  Unless you are adding something unique to the singing performance, then I don't think they should be allowed to participate.  I mean, after all... what makes this show cool and unique is that it is a "catch-all" for so many other unique talents... and just regular singing takes away the opportunity of other people who this is their only venue to gain fame and have their shot on a reality TV show. 
  2. IS THIS SHOW CALLED "AMERICA'S GOT TALENT"? OR "WHO WILL MAKE THE BEST VEGAS STAGE SHOW"???!!  I hate that the winning prize has become so focused on the Vegas stage show.  This is a talent show. Not a casting call for Vegas shows.  If the point of the show is to find the best, most unique talent in America, there are good chances that maybe that talent isn't appropriate for a Vegas audience.  I mean, are you really going to put through a dance group of five 8-12 year old girls to dance every night in Sin City?  But... if those girls are talented, they should be rewarded! 
  3. STOP PICKING CONTESTANTS BECAUSE THEY ARE ATTRACTIVE!  So maybe the hand-whistling Granny isn't attractive... but it seems like some of the contestants this are banking on their looks more than their talent.  Let's be real... that 18 year old guy that made it through week one... Nathaniel Kenyon... there is NO WAY that voice would get him through on American Idol (and that says a lot considering Tim Young made it to the top 8 this past season).  I just think that with the cross-section of America that probably tries out for the show, we should pick people based on talent... and not a combination of looks and talent.  If the person's talent can stand alone without the looks, and they happen to be attractive, then cool.  Otherwise... let someone else have a chance. 
Any other people out there in the blogosphere watch this show?  Please tell me I'm not the only one that has these same feelings about the show....

With those things said... let me leave you with a video of my favorite act to ever be on America's Got Talent.  This act I think epitomizes what America's Got Talent SHOULD be all about.... uniqueness... originality.... entertaining... and a captivating talent.  Check out the Quick Change Artists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axi58IkRkvk

1 comment:

Shanyn said...

I agree that the quick change artists are the best!!!

I am VERY IRRITATED with some things going on this season. Hand whistler? Impression guy? NO WAY. NOOOO WAY!! When I found out they had made it to the top 48 I almost stopped watching the stupid show, but I'm still watching because there ARE a few good acts that I really like.

Speaking of, Train's live performance was NOT good. Ugh!

I was just thinking of some rants I have about reality tv, maybe I'll write up a post :)